Green Farmstead Partner Program Expands Network of Landscapers
04-11-2016 in Green Farmstead Partner
West Des Moines, IA – April 11, 2016 – Over 66,000 trees have been planted on Iowa livestock farms through the efforts of the Green Farmstead Partner program. But trees aren’t the only thing growing; the program’s network of landscapers, individuals who have expertise in designing tree plantings and windbreaks for farms, is also growing.
The Green Farmstead Partner program provides information and resources to farmers wanting to plant trees and shrubs around new and existing livestock barns and feedlots. The network of landscapers has grown to 25 professionals.
“There are many benefits that a properly designed tree planting can bring to livestock farms,” says Rita Reynolds, assistant field specialist for the Coalition to Support Iowa’s Farmers. “Controlling wind and snow, reducing odor, enhancing relationships with neighbors and improving aesthetics are all things that trees can help with. The key is starting with a good plan and getting the trees established properly and off to a good start. That’s where the network of landscapers comes in – they have the expertise to help you develop the right plan for your farm and get your trees off to a good start.”
Virgil Widger, landscape designer for Country Landscapes and one of the recent additions to the Green Farmstead Partner program, says he’s excited to work with farmers to help them reap the many benefits trees can bring to farms and rural areas. “To get the biggest bang for your buck, it’s important to start with a good plan that includes a diversity of tree species to maximize the functionality and longevity of the planting,” he said.
Landscapers involved in the initiative are:
- Ag Property Services, Tommy Ghrist, Murray
- Arbor Care LLC, Mark Pingenot, Vinton
- Bedwell Gardens, Kirk Bedwell, Norwalk
- Blue Ribbon Lawn and Landscaping, Brandon Buch, Fairfield
- Country Landscapes, Ted Lyon, Ames
- Country Landscapes, Virgil Widger, Clear Lake
- David Halverson, Marshalltown (plan designer only)
- DeBoer Tree Farm, Kevin DeBoer, Akron
- Del’s Garden Center, Bob Fullhart, Spencer
- Egli Landscapes, Tim Egli, Wayland
- Frazier Nursery, John & Alex Frazier, Vinton
- Garden’s Gate, Twylla Baker, Algona
- Geode Foresty Inc., Bob Petrzelka, Swedesburg
- Godbold Landscapes Architecture, Seana Godbold (plan designer only)
- Green Gables, Ann Grimm, West Bend
- Greenworld Inc, Larry Ribbens, Sioux Center
- Hackert Landscaping, Brent Rolffs, Lynnville
- Hughes Nursery and Landscaping, Tom Hughes, Cedar Rapids
- Ingrid’s Landscaping, Ingrid & Bruce Quint, Ryan
- Iowa Native Trees and Shrubs, Mike Bevins, Woodward
- Kelly Tree Farm, Jacob Dohmen, Clarence
- Matthias Landscaping, Nate Lansing, Waterloo
- Natural Plus, Dave Hopper, Clear Lake
- PrairieScapes, Dave Brakhane, Winterset
- Vic Scott Landscaping and Nursery, Todd Scott, Ankeny
For more information, including contact information for each of the participating landscapers, visit www.supportfarmers.com/nurseries.
The Green Farmstead Partner program is a collaborative effort involving the Coalition to Support Iowa’s Farmers, Trees Forever and the Iowa Nursery and Landscape Association. It’s supported by Alliant Energy, Farm Credit Services of America and Summit Livestock Facilities.
CSIF was created by farmers to help farmers raise livestock successfully and responsibly. It’s a joint partnership involving the Iowa Cattlemen’s Association, Iowa Corn Growers Association, Iowa Egg Council, Iowa Farm Bureau Federation, Iowa Pork Producers Association, Iowa Soybean Association, Iowa Turkey Federation and Midwest Dairy Association.
The non-profit, non-partisan organization provides assistance to farmers at no cost. CSIF does not lobby or develop policy. Farm families wanting a helping hand can contact the Coalition at 1-800-932-2436 or visit www.supportfarmers.com.
WEST DES MOINES, IOWA – June 25, 2019 – More than 70,000 trees have been planted under the Coalition to Support Iowa’s Farmers’ Green Farmstead Partner Program since 2009 when...Read More
Green Farmstead Partner Profile: Greenworld, Inc.
Greenworld, Inc. is located in Sioux Center, Iowa, where they grow their own stock of trees, shrubs, and other plants. Founded in 1981 by Larry Ribbens, Greenworld, Inc., has continued...Read More
The Emerald Ash Borer: What You Need to Know
By Megyn Walston, CSIF Communications Intern The Emerald Ash Borer (EAB) is a destructive insect to ash trees and considered one of the most destructive tree pests in North America...Read More