GFP Program Specializes in Custom Tree Plantings for Iowa Farmers
04-16-2013 in Green Farmstead Partner
WEST DES MOINES, IOWA – April 16, 2013 — With Earth Day just around the corner, it’s a great time for livestock farmers to think about tree plantings that can provide windbreaks, reduce odor, control snow, improve aesthetics and help livestock, according to the Coalition to Support Iowa’s Farmers (CSIF).
“A good place to start is with CSIF’s Green Farmstead Partner Program (GFP),” said Rita Cook, assistant field specialist for CSIF. The Green Farmstead Partner program provides information and resources to farmers wanting to plant trees and shrubs around new and existing cattle feedlots, hog barns, dairy farms and poultry buildings.
“A properly designed tree planting can provide many benefits and, in some cases, may actually improve ventilation,” Cook said. “The key is having the right plan in place from the start, but not every nursery is familiar with the special issues that are involved with livestock farms. And that is exactly what the Green Farmstead Partner program is here to help with.”
CSIF partnered with Trees Forever and the Iowa Nursery and Landscape Association (INLA) to provide specialized training to 21 nursery and landscape professionals around the state who have experience designing plans specifically for livestock farms.
CSIF will cover the initial consultation and plan design from a participating nursery. The nursery and landscape professionals certified through the Green Farmstead Partner program are:
- Advanced Greenscapes, Matt Roelfs, Ackley
- Blue Ribbon Lawn and Landscaping, Brandon Buch, Fairfield
- Country Landscapes, Ted Lyon, Ames
- David Halvorsen, Marshalltown (plan designer only)
- Del’s Garden Center, Bob Fullhart, Spencer
- Egli Landscapes, Tim Egli, Wayland
- Garden’s Gate, Twylla Baker, Algona
- Geode Forestry Inc., Bob Petrzelka, Swedesburg
- Godbold Landscape Archietecture, Seana Godbold, Spirit Lake (plan designer only)
- Green Gables, Ann Grimm, West Bend
- Greenworld, Inc., Larry Ribbens, Sioux Center
- Hackert Landscaping/Pella Tree Services, Brent Rolffs, Lynnville
- Hughes Nursery and Landscaping, Tom Hughes, Cedar Rapids
- Ingrid’s Landscaping, Ingrid and Bruce Quint, Ryan
- Iowa Native Trees and Shrubs, Mike Bevins, Woodward
- Kelly Tree Farm, Kevin Kelly, Clarence
- Matthias Landscaping, Nate Lansing, Waterloo
- Natural Plus, Dave Hopper, Clear Lake
- Perennial Gardens, Linda Grieve, Ankeny
- River Valley Forest Services, Inc., Brian Gibson, Humboldt
- Vic Scott Landscaping and Nursery, Todd Scott, Ankeny
“I was interested in ways I could enhance the appearance of my farm while helping my turkeys,” said fourth generation turkey farmer, Ben Leichty from Henry County. “Through the GFP program, I got a custom plan for my farm. Not only do the trees look great, they’re also a great windbreak to protect the turkeys and they were affordable, too.”
Farmers interested in participating in the Green Farmstead Partner program can learn more by visiting www.supportfarmers.com/greenfarm or by contacting CSIF at 1-800-932-2436. Additional information, including each landscaper’s contact information, can be found at www.supportfarmers.com/nurseries.
Farmers who successfully plant trees can apply to receive, at no cost, a personalized Green Farmstead Partner sign for display on their farm.
The Green Farmstead Partner program is supported by Alliant Energy and Farm Credit Services of America.
CSIF is a non-profit organization that assists livestock farmers who want help interpreting rules and regulations, guidance on good site locations for barns, counsel on enhancing neighbor relations and tips on how to protect the environment at no cost. This positive, solutions-based approach to helping livestock farmers grow is a collaborative effort involving the Iowa Cattlemen’s Association, Iowa Corn Growers Association, Iowa Farm Bureau, Iowa Pork Producers Association, Iowa Soybean Association, Iowa Turkey Federation and the Midwest Dairy Association. For more information, call 1-800-932-2436 or visit www.supportfarmers.com.
Ames Landscaper Joins Green Farmstead Partner Program
West Des Moines, Iowa – April 4, 2023 — Landscape Legends of Ames has been designated a participating landscape professional in the Coalition to Support Iowa’s Farmers’ (CSIF) Green Farmstead...Read More
Derecho Brings Opportunity for Story County Family
Brian Sampson of Story County is an optimist. “I like to be around people who think most things are possible,” says Sampson. When the derecho rolled through his farm last...Read More
Farmer Finds New Passion in Trees
Rembrandt farmer works with CSIF to grow his tree dreams Trent Hatlen grew up with hogs. His parents raised them. He raised them. Then, in 2010, with a weak swine...Read More