Aquaculture Opportunities in Iowa
Aquaculture: ( USDA ERS) The production of aquatic animals and plants under controlled conditions for all or parts of their lifecycles.
Aquaculture: (CSIF) An emerging opportunity for Iowa farmers looking to grow their farms, diversify existing operations or get started farming.
According to the USDA, global demand for seafood is projected to increase by 70 percent in the next 30 years and harvests from capture fisheries are stable or declining. As a result, there is mounting interest in growing the aquaculture industry to supply aquatic food needs.
Seeing a need for more farm-raised fish, many Iowa farmers see an opportunity to get their start in the aquaculture industry.
For more information about aquaculture, view the following presentations from the 2016 Iowa Aquaculture Conference or check out these links:
Resources for Iowa Farmers
- Iowa State University’s Value Added Agriculture Program provides direct technical assistance or in-depth assistance in marketing and feasibility studies.
- The Agricultural Marketing Resource Center features many resources, including an overview of several types of fish raised in aquaculture production systems.
- The North Central Regional Aquaculture Center has many publications available, as well as resources from the Regional Aquaculture Center.
- Iowa State University's Fisheries Extension offers educational opportunities and can custom prepare fishery educational materials and programs.
- The Coalition to Support Iowa’s Farmers offers free and confidential assistance siting new facilities and can help explain rules and regulations impacting livestock farms.
Iowa Aquaculture: Quick Bytes 2016
- Farmers Reel in Business Opportunities at CSIF Aquaculture Conference
- Land-Based Aquaculture: Hurdles and Business Planning Practices
Iowa Aquaculture: Quick Bytes 2014
- Assessing Iowa Aquaculture’s Opportunities and Challenges
- Lessons from the Tank: Iowa Producers Share an Insider’s Look at Aquaculture
- Aquaculture 101: What Every Producer Needs to Know
- Sink or Swim: Managing the Financial Risks of the Aquaculture Industry
- Responsible Aquaculture: CSIF Highlights Best Management Practices